A little while ago I decided to set myself a little challenge.
I call it Fifty before Fifty.
It’s a list of fifty challenges I am going to try to achieve/complete/see/do before my fiftieth birthday.
I’ve already posted (frequently) whenever I make some small step towards achieving these but I thought I’d make the list a little more accessible and this is going to be my checklist.
I’ll add links to posts relating to each as I go along.
There was no particular order to the list, just however they popped into my head.
Here’s the list:
- See the Northern Lights
- Read two books a month (that’s 72 before my 50th birthday) – ongoing: So far I have read, 1) The Zahir by Paulo Coelho, 2) Vanishing Acts by Jodi Piccoult, 3) Dracula by Bram Stoker, 4) Cannery Row by John Steinbeck, 5) The Life of Pi by Yann Martel, 6) Rachel’s Holiday by Marion Keyes, 7) Broadmoor Revealed: Victorian Crime and the Lunatic Assylum by Mark Stevens, 8) 36 Fat Burning Foods by Sophie Taylor. 9) A Short History of Wales by Owen Morgan Edwards, 10) Richard III: Makers of History by Jacob Abbott, Eyam Plague 1665-1666 by John Clifford, 11) Discworld 1: The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett, 12) Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. 13) Odd Thomas: Forever Odd by Dean Koontz, 14) Odd Thomas: Brother Odd by Dean Koontz, 15) Odd Thomas: Odd Hours by Dean Koontz
- Travel the coast of Britain in a camper van
- Become a member of the Royal Photographic Society – Complete, Man bought me membership for my birthday :)
- Take Man to Paris
- Get married
- Visit every castle in England – for this I am using the list that can be found HERE. There are 171 in total. So far I have checked off 13 HERE and another one HERE. This is Tutbury Castle HERE. Lindisfarne Castle is HERE, Berwick Castle is HERE
- Hold a photographic exhibition
- Write a children’s book
- Get a short story published in a magazine/book
- Gain another qualification
- Visit Edinburgh
- Go camping in my little tent. DONE … check out what fun we had here
- Get a passport
- Lose four stone – half a stone down.
- Give up smoking – stopped smoking January 11 2013.
- Go punting at Cambridge
- Go to Whitby to photograph one of the Goth weekends – complete, see the blog post and photographic evidence HERE.
- Have a go at archery
- Yarn bomb a tree in the name of art
- Give up work to work for myself
- Reach my goal of saving £50,000 so we can
- Buy a house
- Visit every church on the Churches Conservation Trust list – ongoing see Five Churches and a Windmill, Heading home via more Churches, Three churches and a Goldfish, Found some more churches, Back on the Road again, A Morning of Surprises, A romp through history, All that’s left of a medieval village, St John’s Church, Stamford, Getting the key to the door, The one that started it all, Ironwork a dictionary and the man with Tourettes, Churches, graffiti and Darwin’s grandad, I got inside, A camera disaster and another church, The other two West Sussex churches, The Snarford tombs, Everything you need in miniature, What’s in a name, Forgive me father for I have sinned
- Make at least one donation to a charity shop/clothing bank etc every month – Oct 2012 check, Nov 2012, Dec 2012, Jan 2013, Feb 2013, March 2013, April 2013, May 2013, June 2013
- Visit Lindisfarne. Done – check out the details here
- Go on a steam train – done read about the Peak Railway here
- Get 500 followers on my blogs – I wonder if I can combine the two here? I have 159 on Dory’s World and 118 on my photoblog Dory’s Eye and 10 on my newest blog Well You Know Now
- Finally get to live with Man
- Take part in a charity event
- Visit the Lake District with Man
- Take a holiday in Wales
- Buy a car
- Learn a new skill
- Create my own website
- Make myself an item of clothing
- Make a patchwork quilt
- Write a novel
- Watch the sunrise at Stonehenge
- Take some amazing photographs of a beach
- Get more than 100 photographs accepted by stock photo agencies
- Visit the Isle of Man
- Visit the National Media Museum – completed. See the post and photographic evidence HERE.
- Visit the Black Country Museum
- Go on a hike of at least ten miles at least once each year
- Learn to use photoshop expertly
- Make a meal using ingredients I’ve grown myself
- Photograph lightning
- Go on a hovercraft
- Knit a jumper for Man (and make him wear it ha!) – well, I’ve started it :)